Wednesday, June 6, 2007

History has a funny way of repeating itself!

Well...we have had our first visit to the ER...yes...less than 2 weeks since we moved here! It's hard to describe, but basically I was putting Taitlyn down for a nap. She was being silly and as soon as I sat down in the rocking chair she threw herself backwards. I had her hands so she didn't fall completely but she kind of flipped out of my lap. Of course, she immediatley started crying and I was hoping it was simply because it scared her. I soon realized that it was more than that...she wasn't moving her left arm at all! Immediately I had flashbacks of Madison's dive out of the high chair! It was almost the exact situation! Anyway...I took her to the local hospital and let me just say I almost had a breakdown when we walked in. We are definitely not at Plano Presby anymore! There are better hospitals a little further away but we wanted to have her looked at as soon as possible so we decided to go the local Arlington hospital. I really don't even know how to describe the scene but it was definitely not what we are used to. They quickly changed my mind though! We had a great nurse and an incredible doctor. He simply came in, asked me what had happened and looked her over. He said that he thought it was a "nurses maid elbow" and not her collar bone and explained that he was going to "pop" her elbow back into place (which would make her scream...of course) and then walk out of the room. He would then check back in a few minutes and she should be using her arm again. I had my doubts because it had been almost 2 hours at this point and she hadn't even twitched that arm. He did what he said though and I couldn't believe it...I handed her her sippy cup and she immediately took it with both arms and started drinking! Praise God!!!! I can not tell you how relieved I was that we didn't have to do the whole arm wrapping & not crawling for 3 weeks again! We got home and she went straight to crawling all over the place! It did end up being a good experience and it made me feel better about health care in this area...although I do have to say I hope we don't have to do it again anytime soon!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is crazy, Amy. I am so glad she is alright. Hope all else is well...

Amy said...

bless your sweet little hearts!! holy cow....i am SO glad that she is good and hopefully you are breathing again :) loveyou! xoxo